Saturday, March 11, 2006

Africa Revolution


It has been too long since I have posted a little somethin, so I thought I would make a comeback by givin a shout out to my guy Allan. He just started a new ministry venture called Africa Revolution. You can check it out by clicking on the link in the right margin.

Its purpose is to connect churches in southern African with churches in the States in authentic relationships in order to learn from one another, serve one another, and to work together in the fight against the AIDs epedemic, and to care for orphans. The method used to see this happen is year long internships for students from the states in which they live incarnationally in African communities/cities and work alongside churches there who are engaged in holistic expressions of the gospel in their communities. Another huge piece of this internship is to gain a deeper understanding of God's heart for the poor, the oppressed, widows, orphans, justice, and racial & cultural diversity.

Allan recently left a very secure position at another ministry in order to launch this ministry he feels God has called him to. He is in the process of raising funds, and is praying and working through the details of what God intends for this ministry to be. As I think about what Allan is doing I am reminded of something that I read this morning in "Spiritual Leadership" by Oswald Sanders. He states, "The greates achievements in the history of missions have come from leaders close to God who took courageous, calculated risks (p 127)." The wife of Archbishop Mowll said, "The frontiers of the kingdom of God were never advanced by men and women of caution."

I pray that I won't succumb to "comfortable American Christianity." I pray that God will give me the boldness to be a risk taker as I follow Him.

1 comment:

allan said...

Sweet shout out man. Thanks for that. I started re-reading "A Passion for Souls- DL" and I’ve been listening to "The Cost of Freedom- The Story of Dietrich Bonhoeffer". It's amazing that these men lived daily with divine agenda's, working for an eternal currency, basking in the "FULL" life God had for them. They saw what we find so hard to see today and they stayed faithful.

I'm praying with you Dave, "Father, may we seek first Your Kingdom and Your righteousness at whatever cost to our personal lives."