Monday, June 18, 2012
Here is my outline from the message I shared at Lawton Evangelical Mennonite Church on Sunday June 10th. You can listen to the message here. I hope it is an encouragement to you.
1 Timothy 2:1-7
First of all, then I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for ALL people, for kings and ALL who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires ALL people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for ALL, which is the testimony given at the proper time. For this (testimony to the Gospel) I was appointed a preacher and an apostle, a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.
I. He gave Himself for ALL - v.5-7
(1)Jesus is our Intervention (mediator)!
Mediator = one who intervenes between two, either in order to make or restore peace and friendship, or form a compact, or for ratifying a covenant
(2) Jesus is our ransom!
Ransom = refers to purchasing someone’s release
II. His heart is for ALL - v.4
1 Timothy 1:15 = The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.
Romans 9:1-3 = …that I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ, for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh.
III. (Therefore) Pray for ALL! - v.1-3
“'All men' makes it clear that no person on earth is outside the influence of believing prayer. This means we should pray for the unsaved and the saved, for people near us and people far away, for enemies as well as friends." - Weirsbe
"Prayer not only changes people, situations and even the course of history, but also those who pray! It is dangerous for the enemy and also 'dangerous' for you." Patrick Johnstone
Below is my outline from the message I preached at New Hope Fellowship on Sunday June 3rd. I hope you are encouraged by it!
2 Timothy 2:1-2
I. Gospel Endurance
v.1 You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus
His exhortation to endure is rooted in the saving work of Christ!
His grace saves us (2 Timothy 1:9; Ephesians 2:8-9)
His grace strengthens us (2 Timothy 2:1; 2 Cor. 12:9)
His grace sends us (2 Timothy 2:2)
II. Gospel Multiplication
1) Evangelism (implied)
Matthew 28:19 “make disciples”
Matthew 4:19 “fishers of men”
2 Timothy 2:2a and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses
Paul spent intentional time with Timothy!
(a) The content of the message (Gospel Content)
-2 Timothy 1:13; 2 Timothy 2:2, 2 Timothy 3:10
(b) The character of the man (Gospel Character)
-2 Timothy 3:10; 1 Thessalonians 2:8
3) Empowering (sending)
2 Timothy 2:2b entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
Paul sent Timothy out (1 Cor. 16:10-11; Acts 19:22)!
•Paul had the vision of a disciple maker! In these verses, we see 4 generations of disciples (Paul→ Timothy → faithful men → others)
•Making Disciples involves 3 components:
Evangelism → Equipping → Empowering
Deliverance → Development → Deployment
Closing Challenge: Are we making disciples?
There are 2 types of people:
(those who hear this message and think) I could never do that!
*Who are the "Pauls" you could link up with?
(those who hear this message and think) I should be doing that!
*Who are the "Timothys" you could intentionally spend time with?
*Who are the nonbelievers in your life you could intentionally spend time
Tuesday, June 12, 2012
(the family at Carson's baseball game)
Yesterday, we returned from our roughly 10 day "tour" of the Midwest!:) We had an amazing time visiting with family, friends, and supporters! This morning, we are both very thankful for the opportunity God gave us to make this trip. As we get our bearings this morning, and head into the rest of June here in Richmond, here are our June Praises & Prayer Requests:
Praises (We praise God for...)
(1) Such a great visit to the midwest. Although it is difficult to connect with everyone we would like to within a short period of time, we are grateful to have connected with so many (and if we missed you, let's shoot for Christmas time:)). We praise God for New Hope Fellowship (Paw Paw), Roseland Bible Church (Chicago), and Lawton Evangelical Mennonite Church (Lawton)! These are three (out of 4) of our supporting churches. We are thankful for the opportunity we had to give ministry updates and share the Word with each of you!
(2) We launched our discipleship groups (small groups) this past month! The initial feedback from both the group leaders and the participants has been so encouraging! God is growing us as disciples and disciple makers.
(3) This past Sunday I had the opportunity to perform my first baby dedication at Lawton EMC. It was especially meaningful in that I got to dedicate my nephew Bryson (who is 2 years old)!
(4) We received a very good offer on my condo in Chicago! We are waiting to hear back from the bank, but it looks very promising. It could potentially be sold by the end of this month. Please pray that the sale would go through!
Prayer Requests (Please pray with us for...)
(1) This month we will begin the rehab work on our gym. This will consist of tearing up the old floor, painting all of the walls, and laying a new floor. We have a completion deadline of Monday July 16th. Please pray for this work project, and for continued provision for it, as we have discovered some additional unexpected costs.
(2) Josie will begin her new "youth camp consultant" role this month. Please pray for wisdom for her in her new expanded role at the Y. Also, she is also exploring part time physical therapy work options and is waiting to hear back about potential opportunities. We would appreciate your prayers for wisdom in this as well.
(3) Monday June 25th through Friday June 29th I will be serving at a sports camp with the Bay Area Rescue Mission's Youth Outreach Department. Please pray for Gospel impact this week, and for meaningful opportunities to connect with youth! I will also be serving with them the following week (July 2nd - July 6th).
(4) Please continue to pray that we would be able to either rent or sell our condo in Branson, Missouri as well.
Thank you so much for your prayer support! We need it! As always, let us know how to be lifting you up as well!
(Josie & I with the newly married CW & Jacqui Allen!)