Sunday, July 08, 2007

Challenged At A Mosque

The last few weeks I have had the opportunity to lead our various Bridge Builders groups (missions teams) on outreaches throughout the city. This past Friday I accompanied the group to the South Asian Friendship Center located on Devon St. in the neighborhood known as "Little India." Whenever we take groups there on Friday, the staff from SAFC take us for a mosque visit. We attend a Friday service and then have the chance to dialogue with a leader from the mosque. On this particular Friday the person who spoke to us was a 60ish year old woman named Mary. She spoke to us for probably 20-30 minutes on the core beliefs of Islam - without looking at any notes. After she finished, she allowe us to ask her questions. Several of the high school and college students that were with me asked her some challenging questions regarding her convictions and core beliefs. Although, at times flustered, she answered the questions with conviction and passion. Even though I obviously didn't agree with everything that she said - I was really challenged by out time with her. I asked myself whether I could stand before a group of Islamic high school and college students (and their leaders) and articulate the core beliefs of Christianity with Scripture to back it up. And then, would I be able to field challenging questions from the students? I left thinking about these questions.

Do I know what I believe and why I believe? I'm not questioning my faith. This is not a doubt session. I'm challenged when I consider how well I could articulate what and why I believe. I say that the Word of God is the foundation of my faith, right? Well then, why does my passion for the word waiver? Why is my discipline in it weak at times? Am I thirsty for it? Do I long to share it with others?

My Biblical negligence should spark a sense of urgency, and a greater desire to be in the Word and really soak it up. God help me on this journey.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

There is a God and He is alive and well! Dave you are blogging again? Of all the blissful things in the world there is none that can compare to the joyful writings of Dave Clark Jr!