Friday, November 23, 2007

Spiritual Urgency

I have been reading through Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret the last week or so. It is the book of the month for the learning community that I am in. I actually read the book just before I began Moody in the summer of 2001. It is hitting me in some different ways now that I am 6 years into ministry. I just wanted to share a quote from the book that was convicting and challenging to me. Keep in mind that Hudson Taylor lived from 1832 to 1905. He was one of the first missionaries to China. He wrote, "We may have more wealth in these days, better education, greater comfort in traveling and in our surroundings even as missionaries, but have we the spirit of urgency, the deep, inward convictions that moved those who went before us; have we the same passion of love, personal love for the Lord Jesus Christ? If these are lacking, it is a loss for which nothing can compensate." That's a "spiritual punch in the chest."

I thought I would share one other quote that might encourage my fellow "support raisers" out there. He wrote, "Let us see that we keep God before our eyes; that we walk in His ways and seek to please and glorify Him in everything, great and small. Depend upon it, God's work, done in God's way, will never lack God's supplies."

No comments: