Saturday, August 23, 2008

Some Choice Foods











Those of you who know me well know that I love food, and that I get excited about meal time. So I thought I would give a short update on a couple of different food items that I have tasted and thoroughly enjoyed while being here.

1) The McDonald's here have a sandwich called the McFeast (picture coming). It had two beef patties, cheese, mayonnaise, and bbq sauce. It was moist, and seasoned just right! They also have a "mega-mac" Big Mac which is essentially double the size of an ordinary Big Mac. I hope to return to McDonald's at least one more time to try that one.

2) Pap (pronounced pup) - It is a corn meal type substance that is served with many different types of meals. I had it with chicken and beef the first time and then chicken and pork the second time. Each time it has been special! Traditionally it is eaten with your hands and you can use it to "sop up" gravy, beans, dressing, etc. It is pretty much a nice combination with anything you put it with. I have to give a shout out to Vincent's wife Gloria for the pap last night at dinner!

3) Boerwors (farmer's sausage) - It is similar to a bratwurst, but not quite the same. Allan took me for one today. You can put various sauces on it and it is eaten in a hot dog bun. I put chili sauce on mine. It was just right. For those of you of Dutch descent (Pete Blodgett), "boer" is a term that means farmer here - the word is Afrikaans.

4) Nando's - It is a South African chicken restaurant chain. You can order the chicken with various degrees of spiciness. You can also douse them with "peri-peri sauce." The fries also come with "peri peri chili" seasoning on them. Pretty much everything on the menu is bangin'. I may bring a chain location back to Chicago.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you're becoming a fan of Dutch food...I'm proud of your open-mindedness.

You're making me real hungry now...I gotta get some food!

Dave Clark said...

Hey man, did you get my email about checking my mailbox?

Dave Clark said...

Hey man, did you get my email about checking my mailbox?

Unknown said...

The preparation you recieved in Montana for this food diversity was obviouly worthwhile...our prayers are with you

Dave Clark said...

Scot,
Good to hear from you man!!! Yes, I think all of the elk, buffalo, briscette, and most importantly the tripe/dog food laid the foundation to try new things. You would love the Powerhouse church here man. We will be heading to our first Sunday worship service there in the morning.

Blessings,

Dave

Anonymous said...

How am I supposed to get in to your place? Just catch Paul when he's there?