Monday, February 23, 2009

A Bridge Builder Experience



In the spring of 2001 I went on a two week trip to Memphis, TN with one of my closest friends Ben. His boss at the time had connected us with a pastor in Memphis who was planting a church in some housing projects called the Lemar Terrace housing projects. His boss had also put us up in a hotel not too far from where we would be serving. The pastor who we served with, Lemar Walker, was our host for those two weeks. Going into the trip, neither of us (Ben and I) really knew what to expect, but I would say that we definitely had expectations of the trip. Personally, I thought that we would be working with kids those two weeks - maybe doing some VBS type stuff, maybe some sidewalk evangelism. I also pictured us doing some work projects: cleaning up trash, painting buildings, doing rehab, etc. I expected to bless the "poor and needy" and to really impact the lives of others in a short period of time. Pastor Lemar had a different set of expectations for the trip. He had grown up in Memphis. He had experienced poverty. He had felt the racial polarization. He had seen black and white churches attempt to work together (some successfully and some not so successfully). He had experienced urban/suburban partnerships and church/parachurch collaborations. When we arrived that spring, he was planting a church in an economically and racially isolated community with a core group made up of kids (primarily), single moms, and a few single men. He was also taking classes at a local Christian college, and busy with family duties - with a wife and 2 young daughters.

For those 2 weeks he was our teacher and we were his students. He drove us around the city, introduced us to people, took us to local restaurants, and gave us a Memphis history lesson. We visited church and parachurch ministries, community organizations, and one wealthy suburban church. We spent a day at the Civil Rights museum at the old Lorraine Motel. It seemed as if each time we arrived at a destination, he would turn off the car, but we wouldn't get out of the car. When he turned off that key, school was in session. He spoke to us about race and how it has impacted life and ministry in Memphis historically and presently. He shared insight about urban/suburban church partnerships. He emphasized the importance of indigenous leadership development. At the time, I didn't fully appreciate what was happening. However, as I look back on that experience I am so grateful for it.

We did work with the kids, but only on two of the evenings. He taught us that the kids in those projects had seen plenty of people come and go. He did allow us to do some physical labor, but only because we insisted. What happened on that trip was unexpected. I had anticipated impacting the lives of others and blessing others. Pastor Lemar impacted my life. The city of Memphis opened my eyes. The families of the Lemar Terrace housing projects blessed me. It was a complete paradigm shift for me, and God used it mightily in my life. It was a Kingdom experience.

During the month of March we will be hosting approximately 150 college students at Sunshine. We are praying that a similar paradigm shift will happen in the lives of these college students. I have seen it happen. I have seen college students well up with tears after an experience amongst the homeless, after an immersion night outreach in the homosexual community, and after being impressed by the faith of a 9 year old. Scriptures rarely taught on in most evangelical pulpits come alive during the Bible study times. We are praying that these students will return to their cities and campuses with a renewed sense of compassion, viewing people through Kingdom lenses.

God is good.

3 comments:

b_wongkamalasai said...

just gotta love Joel in that hat.

Anonymous said...

Dave, that is a great story. I wish I could have been in that car when the key turned off each time. The stories he shared with you guys remind me too not to think I'm not the first to come up with idea x, y and z - many before me have done the same things, tried the same ideas, and have much experience to offer young kid just getting going. Humility.

Thanks for sharing!

Dave Clark said...

Brian,

I agree Joel needs to rock a skull cap all of the time!

Nate Dogg,

Good to hear from you man! I definitely agree with you that humility is the key - learning to be learners.