Sunday, October 10, 2010

Remembering My Grandpa




On Friday evening my Grandpa Clark went home to be with Jesus. He died peacefully, with the family at his bedside. He was 93. Over the last couple of days I have been thinking of the things that I appreciated most about my grandpa and his life.

First of all my grandpa was faithful to the LORD. He came to know the Lord at the age of 23 years old (neither of his parents were believers). He would walk with Him for 70 years! He spoke often about the Lord and His faithfulness in his life. Over the years I observed him witness to waitresses, store owners, relatives, etc. He loved Jesus and He loved to tell others about Him! He also loved to sing praises to God! I have vivid memories of him singing SO LOUD at whatever church he visited. It sometimes embarrassed us, but he didn't care...he was going to make a joyful noise unto the Lord.

Second, he was faithful to his wife. My grandparents were married for 64 years!! They have 3 kids, 8 grandkids, and a growing number of great grandkids. As a grandkid, I (and we) could count on a few things from grandpa: a huge hug when we saw him, an occasional mini-sermon or quoted Scripture verse, a "Reader's Digest" joke, and a lot of laughs. He loved to play games and cards at the kitchen table with all of the family! I greatly respect and admire the way my grandparents placed high value on the things that really mattered. My grandpa never had nice "stuff," but he has passed on his faith, his love for people, and the joy that characterized his life.

Finally, he was faithful in ministry. In 2 Timothy 4:2, Paul exhorted Timothy to "preach the word: be ready in season and out of season." My grandpa never stopped preaching the Word! When he no longer served the Lord in formal ministry, he continued to preach the Word to whomever would listen. He spent 50 plus years of His walk with the Lord serving Him in ministry as a pastor, a singer, and an evangelist. He served as a pastor at churches in Port Huron, Lansing, Novi, and Decatur MI. He was known for his passionate proclamation of the Word, and for a passion for missions. In his later years, he would preach evening services at a church in Sylmar CA, and continued to occasionally fill pulpits into his 80s.

Over the last few years, I have begun to preach at a few different churches. I really enjoyed sharing with my grandpa what I had preached on and where I had preached. Ever since I began serving in ministry in 2001, he has let me know that he is praying for me and that the Lord was using me to do a good work. His encouragement meant so much to me.

In a few days I will be giving the "memorial message" at the cemetery where he will be buried. I am so honored and humbled to do this. I know my grandpa would want me to preach the Gospel. So Lord willing, I will lift up the Name of Jesus as we say goodbye to a man who loved to do the same thing.

I love you grandpa and I look forward to singing with you in the presence of the Lord!

6 comments:

Drea D said...

Dave I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you were really blessed to have him in your life :)

Dave Clark said...

Thanks Andrea!:) Yes, I was.

Anonymous said...

man bro that was a touching post! I just keep thinking of how "loud" he is singing now as he stands in awe of the Lamb who was slain for his sins! He is fitting right in with his "loud" singing!

To God be the Glory!

talk to you soon friend!

Your boy in Cali... Aka mc gusto... aka pastor aaron

Unknown said...

May the LORD grant your family peace, comfort, strength, and much laughter as you celebrate the life of your grandpa, and mourn his earthly separation. May many come closer to know the LORD Jesus as you preach the Gospel. Will be praying for you and the Clark family.

Anonymous said...

Dave, we attend the same church, though we don't really know one another. I've had the pleasure of meeting you before, and it sounds as if I would have been equally blessed to have met your Grandpa Clark. In reading your tribute, I was genuinely touched by the way you paid homage to your Grandpa. I believe he is smiling down upon you, awaiting the day when the two of you will be joined again in Heaven. May God bless & keep you and your family always.

Demetria Keys

Dave Clark said...

@ Aaron, thanks brother!
@ Kingz Princess, thanks for the prayer and encouragement!
@ Sister Keys, thanks!!!!