Monday, June 18, 2012

Gospel All (Gospel Shaped Prayer)



Here is my outline from the message I shared at Lawton Evangelical Mennonite Church on Sunday June 10th. You can listen to the message here. I hope it is an encouragement to you.

1 Timothy 2:1-7
First of all, then I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for ALL people, for kings and ALL who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires ALL people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for ALL, which is the testimony given at the proper time. For this (testimony to the Gospel) I was appointed a preacher and an apostle, a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

I. He gave Himself for ALL - v.5-7

(1)Jesus is our Intervention (mediator)!
Mediator = one who intervenes between two, either in order to make or restore peace and friendship, or form a compact, or for ratifying a covenant

(2) Jesus is our ransom!
Ransom = refers to purchasing someone’s release

II. His heart is for ALL - v.4

1 Timothy 1:15 = The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.

Romans 9:1-3 = …that I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ, for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh.

III. (Therefore) Pray for ALL! - v.1-3

“'All men' makes it clear that no person on earth is outside the influence of believing prayer. This means we should pray for the unsaved and the saved, for people near us and people far away, for enemies as well as friends." - Weirsbe

"Prayer not only changes people, situations and even the course of history, but also those who pray! It is dangerous for the enemy and also 'dangerous' for you." Patrick Johnstone

No comments: