Tuesday, December 25, 2007

How do you celebrate Christmas?

More than any other Christmas (or Christmas season) that I can remember, I have thought much this year about how I (and my family celebrate Christmas). I was challenged at the beginning of the month to have an exalted view of Christ, especially at Christmas time. As I reflect back on previous Christmases and on what my focus has been, I'm not sure that Christ has been at the forefront of my mind during the Christmas season. My parents raised me in the church - First Baptist Church of Paw Paw to be exact, so I have known from a young age that Jesus is the reason for the season. I could still sing you a children's song or two that proclaims this. However, even though I have always known the "real Christmas story," I can't say that my thoughts, conversations, affections, and activities have celebrated Christ. I don't say this to discount all of the wonderful Christmas times that I have spent with my family. I treasure these times, and I have greatly enjoyed my time with my family this year. I also enjoy many of the traditions that we have. Every Christmas Eve we eat hodge podge soup at Grandma Wilson's house. We usually watch a few Christmas movies - Elf, Christmas Vacation, White Christmas, etc. On Christmas day we usually go to the movies together. We exchange gifts amongst one another. I am not "anti" any of these things. I am not anti-Santa Claus. I am just really thinking about how I (and my family) can inject more of Christ into all of these activities of the season.


This year, for the first time that I can remember, we went to the Christmas Eve service at our church. I think that this must become a regular thing in our family.

I spent time throughout this month reading the Scriptures that focus upon who Christ is as well as the passages that describe his birth and the events leading up to it.

At our tutoring program's final night (before Christmas break), we watched the "Nativity Story" with the kids. It is a powerful movie. It does a great job in creating a sense of anticipation for the birth of our Messiah.

As a ministry staff this past month we have read about the historical and theological significance of the various symbols of advent. This was very new to me, and is definitely something I want to further research and celebrate in future years.

One thing that I have thought about this Christmas season is how the life of Christ was such a life of sacrifice. Jesus was the ultimate sacrificial gift - He gave His life. I think this is where we got the tradition of giving gifts on Christmas. But I wonder how much sacrifice is involved in the gifts that we give (and credit card debt is not considered sacrificial giving). Is giving gifts to only those that we are related to or have a relationship with what it is all about? Should we instead focus on sacrificial gifts (could be of love and service) to those whom we expect nothing in return from? Isn't that what Jesus encouraged/exhorted us to do when we host a "dinner party?" Maybe our Christmas parties should look more like this? Maybe we should invite those who don't have a family to celebrate with, maybe those who can't afford to buy gifts, maybe those who are going through a tough time? Wouldn't Christ be more exalted if this was how we celebrated Christmas?

Does anyone else have an idea (or ideas) of how we can better exalt and exemplify Christ during the Christmas season? Please share them if you have them. I am definitely learning and looking for ideas.

1 comment:

Jesus is God in Flesh said...

Ditto on almost everything you said! Up til about five years ago, I cut back ALOT on giving gifts on Christmas. For the first time in my life, I realized that the celebration of Christmas meant more than going into debt to give gifts that no one remembers (a year later). And I recently noticed that the word "Christmas" isn't even in the Bible. I don't say this to say that we shouldn't celebrate or at least share its true meaning. I would be more in favor in celebrating Advent, because it's less commercialized and sticks to its intended purpose.

I totally agree with the giving of service/gifts to those we wouldn't ordinarily consider. A few years ago, our church used to take our youth on Christmas Day to serve the homeless breakfast and lunch, share the gospel, and fellowship with the brethen who coordinated the day. For whatever reason, we stopped. My guess is that we (Christians)have grown too comfortable in celebrating the LORD's birth and the true meaning of Christmas for the sake of convenience. Sad, but true. It pains me to no end when I hear Christians say, "We're not going to church...we're going to stay home and celebrate with family/friends." "Or I gotta stay home and cook." What!!#@! It's like we've reduced the LORD to being a turkey dinner. Even in our celebrating, our priorities are just out of order.

But thanks be to GOD for HIS unspeakable GIFT! Praise the name of JESUS for still loving us enough to still come and sacrifice HIS life, taking it up again, and giving us eternal life; even when HE knew our priorities and celebration of HIM would be out of wack.

Sorry for venting. Thanks for the question.