Thursday, January 01, 2009

Blessed By My Church


Last night I attended the New Year's Eve service (watch night service) at my church, Christ Bible Church. None of the previous churches that I have attended have done New Year's Eve services, so this was a first time experience for me. I'm not gonna front, I was a little pessimistic about the service. I even told a friend that I wanted to "check it out" and that if I didn't care for it, I wouldn't go next year. I usually like to say pretty low-key on New Year's Eve. I like to bring it in with a few friends, maybe some games, definitely some food, etc. I don't feel like I "have" to be in church on New Year's Eve. However, what I experienced last night silenced my pessimism and cynicism.

I arrived at the church at around 9 with my roommate Paul. Nine o'clock was the start time for the men vs. women Bible competition, moderated by Pastor Ford. I was really curious - going in - as to how this competition would go down. Again, it exceeded my expectation. There were probably 80-90 women and 50-60 men. It got competitive, as the women established a lead. It was really humorous as well. I was amazed at some of the men and women's Bible knowledge as some of the questions were really tough. I'll admit, if I had to go head to head with some of them, I would get crushed :)

The worship service started at 10pm. It really was a time of celebration - "When the Spirit of the Lord," "Lord You Are Good," "Worthy Is The Lamb," etc. After our time of worship, we spent time together praying in small groups around the sanctuary. We then had a time of testimony. Men and women, from age 8 to 80, stood and testified of how God had (& has) been at work in their life during the past year. It was a beautiful picture of a "multi-generational" body, and the blessing that comes from young and old sharpening and encouraging and learning from one another. Pastor Ford then shared a message coming out of John 21:1-19 entitled, "Jesus gives us a new start...even when we're not looking for one." I could write an entire blog entry on the message, as it was rich. He could have preached till one in the morning, and I would have been cool.

After the message, with just a few minutes until midnight, Pastor Ford had all of the women move into the middle section of the church and all of the men stand up and encircle the women. He reminded the men that we are to be the head of households, to be spiritual leaders and protectors. Our prayer circle around the women was symbolic of this. A teenager, a young pastor, and one of our "more mature" elders prayed. It was a fitting ending to a beautiful service.

Now I still don't feel like I "have" to go to church on New Year's Eve. However, as long as the Lord has me in Chicago at Christ Bible Church, I want to be in church on New Year's Eve.

5 comments:

Just Meee~ said...

... my New Years was so exciting that I was in bed at 9PM... wish I knew where your church was... I would have liked to have been there.

Perhaps NEXT year, GOD willing...

troy said...

You don't have to go to church on Christmas Eve dude...Do you think Jesus really cares about the "New Year"? Hmmmm (just kidding).

But we will not judge anyone according to a sabbath day, new moon festival, or what he eats - but when we gather we have a great opportunity to Enjoy our Savior the Lord Jesus Christ...

And again, we have your fiance held hostage (smile)

Dave Clark said...

Just Meee, our church is located at 7877 S. Coles if you ever want to come check it out.

Troy,
It was good to be in The House on New Year's Eve brother. And thanks again for providing a retreat place for Charese! She really needed it, and appreciated it.

Freestyle said...

Welcome to Watch Night Service!!! I grew up going to them, so for a lil while I was running from them! This year was the first year back in a while. I enjoyed going, and our night was similar to yours in overall approach.

Joel Hamernick said...

I agree it was a GREAT service. It was the shortest 6 hours in church I've ever experienced (We got there for dinner). . .

but leaving was surreal. During the final prayer all the cops, sirens, and lights going by. . . then when we went out side to see the neighborhood being circled by the police chopper with the search light. . . it was a prophetic witness to our current place of worship in the church. That is, the church remains in a place as a witness to Christ in which justice and peace have yet to embrace. So in the meantime we embrace Christ and go out into the world.