Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankful


It is Thanksgiving Eve and Josie and I just had coffee and cereal together and are now cleaning our house (all of that still seems crazy to write and say!). I was struck with all that I have to be thankful for!

I am thankful for my relationship with God through Jesus! His grace in my life is humbling! As a kid growing up the Lord began planting Gospel seeds in my life through my parents, key Sunday school teachers and AWANA leaders, and other Christians who we did life with. Then my freshman year of college, during the fall of 1996, the Lord brought me to a place of full surrender to Him. He then surrounded me with men to disciple me, Christian peers to walk it out with, and numerous godly examples. God then began to show me, over time, how the way He had wired me was according to His purpose, and that He had work for me to do. Ephesians chapter two, verses eight through 10, says it best! I am amazed at the LORD's faithfulness, His steadfast love, and His never ending grace and mercy (Lamentations 3:22-23).

I am thankful for my wife! Proverbs 18:22 says, "He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the LORD." That is exactly what has happened. God graciously directed me to my "good thing." He did it. If you want to read our story/testimony of how He brought us together, you can read it here. We have now been married for 18 days, and I still can't believe what the LORD has done.

I am thankful for my church where I serve as an under shepherd! Every time someone refers to me as "Pastor Dave" I am reminded of God's grace and am humbled that He is using me. God is doing some amazing things at our church! Yesterday's marriage was just one example, of how God is redeeming people and restoring lives and families. Our church is a beautiful picture of Christ's diverse bride. We come from different ethnic backgrounds and different socio-economic backgrounds to find family together underneath the banner of Christ. I am so thankful for how God used my neighborhood and community in Chicago to shape me, and is now doing the same thing here in Richmond.

I am thankful for all of the family and friends and supporters that Josie and I have. It was an amazing thing at our wedding to walk out and see such amazing support and love! We have "family" (some biological) all over the country, and in other parts of the world! This loving community is just another evidence of God's grace.

I am thankful for the legacy of faith in Christ that has been passed down from our parents - James & Gwendetta Albright and Dave & Coleen Clark. I am thankful for their faithful support, love, encouragement, and wisdom.

Lamentations 3:22-23
The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; His mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness!

No comments: