Sunday, March 02, 2008

The How, What, Why, & Who of Wealth

Last Sunday, I was given the opportunity to preach at my home church, the Lawton Evangelical Mennonite Church. I was humbled by the opportunity, and challenged by the text I was given to preach. It didn't take long into my sermon preparation time to realize that God wanted me to internalize and be messed up by James 5:1-6 before I stepped into the pulpit and attempted to unpack it for others. You see I used to deflect "warnings to the rich" passages onto other people. After, I would read them I would think "so and so should read this." Or if I didn't deflect the passage onto someone else, I would use them as "spiritual pats on the back" for my commitment to incarnational ministry. Rich passages fueled righteous anger within me towards injustice. However, as I continue to read this passage and spend time in prayer over this passage I realized that this text was talking to me. I realized this text was a warning to me. I needed to do a self-check, I needed to repent, and I needed to change.

I wanted to share the outline, and in future blogs I will continue to unpack what God challenged me with over the last few weeks. Here is the outline...

The How, What, Why & Who of Wealth

James 5:1-6
1 Now listen you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming upon you.
2 Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes.
3 Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days.
4 Look! The wages you failed to pay the workmen who mowed your fields are crying against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty.
5 You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter.
6 You have condemned and murdered innocent men, who were not opposing you.

Starting Points:
(1) We are all wealthy.
(2) It is all His.
(3) It’s not just the wealth.

“It is not the wealth itself that is condemned, but the greedy attitude toward it and the grisly actions with which it was obtained (W&Z).”

Opening Statement: Our wealth will bring judgment
(v. 1 & 3b)

We will be judged according to:
(1) HOW we have attained our wealth (v. 4)
Leviticus 19:13
Deuteronomy 24:14-15
Amos 8:4-6
Malachi 3:5
Proverbs 3:27-28

(2) WHAT we have done with our wealth (v. 2-3b, 5)
Luke 12:13-21

(3) WHAT our wealth has done to us (v. 6)

Questions to ponder…
(1) WHY do we have wealth?

“We have money to use it in such a way that we show that money is not our God, but God is our God. That money is not our treasure but Christ is our treasure. I have resources for one purpose to magnify the worth of God in the world.”
- John Piper

(2) WHO is our treasure?
Matthew 6:19-24


Recommended Reading:
“Rich Christians In An Age Of Hunger” by Ron Sider

4 comments:

Aaron said...

When you come to California this week you should preach. You can have the pulpit for one Sunday. Just don't say anything crazy or I will get up like Pastor Ford and Christ Bible Church and tell you and the congregation that "this is heresy."

See ya this week man!

Joel Hamernick said...

Good post Dave. I think you should definitely preach at Aaron's church and give 'em some good Chicago Reformed Theology (CRT!).

Wish I could be with you guys, but at least we can all be messed up by James wherever we are.

A recent Pastor Ford Quote: "When you married her she was a 12oz, now she's a 2 liter".

Jesus is God in Flesh said...

Who is Pastor Ford, and where is Christ Bible Church?

Aaron said...

Dave,
You did a great job preaching last Sunday (I think it was 2 Sunday's ago)! Anyway the folks here are still talking about the concept of "hoarding." James did mess us up!

Post something else homie so I can be ridiculous on your blog.

Holla!