Friday, March 28, 2008

I'm Reading...What Are You Reading?...




The purpose of this post will be to share what I'm reading, and to hear from my "readership" (which I am sure numbers in the hundreds:)) what they/you are reading. I am going to try and do this every couple of months or so in hopes of learning of new books. Let's just say this is a online book swap.




So here goes...right now I am reading three different books:


1) Jesus For President by Shane Claiborne & Chris Haw
I am not very far in to this one yet. About a year ago I read "Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne, and it challenged me as much as any book ever has. So I have been looking forward to this one. Shane always pushes me "out of the box" so to speak.


2) Parting The Waters: America In The King Years: 1954-1963 by Taylor Branch
This books is 700 plus pages, and I think I am about 200 pages in or so. It is a fascinating read. The focus of the books is the life of Martin Luther King Jr. However, I have never read a book on him that gives so much historical context to his life. I highly recommend this book.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/105-7412997-6857224?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Parting+The+Waters

3) With Christ In The School Of Prayer by Andrew Murray
I am reading this book along with the learning community (small group) that I am a part of. I have been reading a chapter each day to kick off my devotional time. Each chapter is a different lesson on prayer from the teachings on prayer of Christ. It is a very convicting read, as it has highlighted my lack of faith.


What are you reading?



What are you reading? Please share...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course I'm reading "With Christ in the School of Prayer" with you, but I also started "Christ the Center" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I've only read the first chapter, so I don't have a good feel for the book yet, but it should be good.

http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Harpers-Ministers-Paperback-Library/dp/0060608110

NotSuchACityGirl said...

I'm reading:
"Surprised by Joy" by C. S. Lewis
"Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ" by John Piper

~Elizabeth Crepinsek

Aaron said...

Here is what I am reading...

"How Africa Shaped the Christian Mind: Rediscovering the African Seedbed of Western Christianity"

and...

"Theology in the Context of World Christianity: How the Global Church Is Influencing the Way We Think About and Discuss Theology"

Great reads!!

Dear and trusted... yeah right!

Peace!

Dave Clark said...

Pete, Elizabeth, & Gus,

Thanks for sharing.

Pete, I have heard good things about Bonhoeffer's writings. How is that book?

Elizabeth, I am a big Piper fan. I am about to read "Don't Waste Your Life." I have not read a C.S. Lewis book yet. I have not even read Mere Christianity!

Gus, both of those books sound very interesting. How did you hear about those books? What insights are you gaining?

NotSuchACityGirl said...

Don't waste your life is really good. My dad gave it to me at graduation.

Aaron said...

I just started reading another called "Reading the Bible with the Damned" by Bob Ekblad.

Wow it is powerful! I am going on a journey man with these three recent reads. My view of God, Scripture, and ministry is being "remade."

This book is awesome!

Joel Hamernick said...

update your blog man. are you still reading this?

I just read that 500 pound book on Abe Lincoln. Was a good trip away from my normal list. . . light reading as my wife would say -- except it was all about the civil war, the main character ends up shot in the head and was 750 pages!

Actually I read it because when Obama was recently asked what books he would take with him to the White House if he could only take 2. this was one and the other was the bible. The book shows Lincolns bold and effective leadership amidst folks around him vying for power. If Obama can lead like that we will have the first such president in 100 years.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Broker, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-broker-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

NotSuchACityGirl said...

I am also just finished reading a book called DO HARD THINGS. It is by 2 teen boys(Alex and Brett Harris) who are encouraging young people everywhere to rise above the expectations( or lack of expectations) that people have for teens. It is really good.

Dave Clark said...

Joel,

An update is coming man! I know it has been too long. I have some stuff "brewin" though. What is the title of that book you spoke of?

Aaron,

Thanks for anothe recommendation. I need to look all three of those up on Amazon now.

Homebroker,

I will be checking out your blog soon. Thanks for posting!


Elizabeth,

Thanks for all of the recommendations. I will let you know that I think of Don't Waste Your Life.


Blessins,

Dave