Thursday, September 11, 2008

My Life Be Like Ooh Ahh


The Christian hip hop group Grits used to have a song with a chorus that said, "My life be like, ooh ahh, oohhhhhh...my life be like ooh, ahh, 00hhhh. Times like these that make me say, Lord if you hear me please come my way." It spoke to the ups and downs of the Christian walk and of life and of our ever-present need of the Lord. I have felt very needy (of the Lord) since returning from South Africa. I have felt overwhelmed. I have felt as if my "to-do" list is never-ending. Don't get me wrong, I came back feeling encouraged, and inspired, and renewed from my experiences in South Africa - and in the midst of those emotions and feelings - overwhelmed (My life be like...). I am working on a couple of new programs/outreaches this fall and still have my hand in the other youth outreach elements. And one thing I continue to realize is that I put too much (unrealistic) pressure on myself to "do well." I struggle with perfectionist tendencies - and I realize it. In some ways it's a strength in that it keeps me driven, but at the same time it can be a weakness and drain me emotionally. I have also felt, in recent days (and before), completely inadequate in my ministry role. I told a co-worker today, "I really don't know what I'm doing." Any other ministry people feel me on this one? (I know this can happen in other areas/roles - husband, father, vocation, etc.). I have also felt a renewed sense of the significance/urgency to the work to which the Lord has called me (and for this I am grateful).


I have had brothers come to me before and shared transparently about feeling overwhelmed, anxious, and inadequate. Mainly, I have listened. Sometimes I have shared that "it is a good place to be" because it means that we have to lean fully on God - His strength, His grace, His wisdom, etc. Sometimes it's hard to internalize how I would counsel someone else. Sometimes it's hard to internalize what I know to be true in God's Word.


I read James 1 this morning, and it reminded me of an old song by the Winans called "Count It All Joy." It went something like this..."Count it all joy, even when it seems to hard to. Know, He'll never give you more than you can handle." I was reminded today to "abide in Christ" - John 15. I prayed Psalm 46:10, "Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in all the earth."


This afternoon and evening I taught two orientation sessions with Moody Bible students who will be volunteering with us, I assisted with a parents orientation for parents of the students in our tutoring program, I walked home and had an encouraging conversation with a neighbor I hadn't met before - and I loved all of the above. As I sit here after a day FULL of activity, I am grateful for what God is doing in my life. I continue to learn the lesson of what it means to "press into" Him.

7 comments:

Aaron said...

Dave,
I certainly can relate to the feelings of inadequacy. I often feel this way but I think it just comes with the territory.

I will say that your bout with perfectionism is very hidden. I don't think many would know that you struggle with this. It makes me want to ask how this plays out in your life.

Like...

-How do you feel when you fail?
-How does this effect your relationship with others when their imperfections are noticable?
-How do you ever rest?

The hidden part could be dangerous but it could be that you have just done a wonderful job of having self control in this area and have tamed it very well. Maybe its both.

Which one is it?

Just picture me with my "thumb on your shoulder." :)

Nathan Clendenin said...

Dave- I feel you on the perfectionism. Reading your post, I was reminded of the sermon Vincent preached at the Wednesday service. Here are some points from Isaiah 55 that might encourage you:

1) Seek intimacy with God - mercy & justice, loving your neighbor, good works, etc. are all good - but they don't satisfy God as much as you drawing near to him in intimate fellowship at all times. Vincent talked about people seeking after their needs (bread/milk) when they should be seeking after the owner of all things who gives freely to those who are in need.

2) Further, God's ways are far above our ways, his thoughts are far above our thoughts. If we are not drawing close to him, we'll end up in our own ways, and the projects we take on will take our form, not his, because we'll be in our own strength. God is BIG - so it's good that our ideas are big and overwhelming...

3) Finally, God's word does not return void - whatever extremely large task he gives us will be accomplished - because He is the one doing it through our faith and obedience.

Now I want to listen to that song!

Dave Clark said...

Gus,

Thanks for your response. I think God has grown me and given me grace in the area of perfectionism. It was definitely most intense during my high school years, God began to really break me of it during college, and continues to work on me in that area. In the same way that He has given me insights into how to battle depression when it rears its head, He has done the same in this particular area. I have to guard against being too critical of myself, and then in turn too critical of others.

Dave Clark said...

Gus,

I wasn't finished...
Like I said in some ways, my perfectionist tendencies can be a strength in that it keeps me driven. The down side is when I strive in my own strength rather then working out of His rest. There is a continuous tension of functioning in "self-sufficient mode" rather than abiding and leaning.

So I guess if it is hidden, then it is because God has grown me through it, but I definitely still have to battle against it.

Appreciate you man. Does what I just said make sense? I feel like I just rambled:)

Dave Clark said...

Nate,

Thanks for sharing that man. Those are all great points. #2 Especially resonates with me. I am going to print that off and put it on my desk. Isaiah 55 is a "rich" passage - a lot of milk there - figuratively and literally. Thanks for that encouragement man. Know that I am lifting you guys up in prayer. Just fyi, I still can't get on your guys' web site, but I will be checking it often via other computers in the meantime.

Aaron said...

Dave,
Thumbs on the should for real man! Your great!

One more question though... Where do you think you got that tendancy?

I think these types of things are cultivated and not just your "genes." I would say 80/20 on the side of cultivation.

So this is why I ask where/when did this strength/weakness come into play? I just don't see that in your Dad or Mom nor do I see them as task masters in any way shape or form.

Just curious how this came about and if you have thought about that.

I know that is a weird question but I am on this crazy self realization kick that has me asking a lot of the same questions about myself.

You feel me?

Dave Clark said...

Gus,

Yeah, I don't think I got it from my parents. I think it is something I developed as I was growing up - not exactly sure why. Maybe the "middle child syndrome?"

Appreciate you man! Thumbs always on the shoulder!