Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Turning Point


Over the last few days, I have been reflecting and thinking on when God got a hold of my life - aka my "turning point" as J'Son refers to this on his song entitled "Turning Point." This morning as I listened to that song and thought about when God made the move on me and how much He has transformed my life I began to "well up." (I need to do this more.) In the song, J'Son tells his story - which is very different than mine (in terms of the details) - but with the result being the same, a transformed (and still being transformed) life for Christ. In the fall of 1996 I headed to Albion College. I had aspirations to play two sports, talk to girls, and "experience" college life. None of that happened. God had other plans for me. I'm reminded that God is always the initiator - He makes the move on us. Gideon in the OT and Paul in the NT are two of my favorite examples of God as the initiator. Athletics had become an idol in my life. I was overly self-conscious and self-focused. Where I found my identity was out of whack. I was committed to please people, but not focused on pleasing Christ. Then through a series of events as J'Son says, I "found that the King was better." God humbled me, got my attention, reminded me of the Gospel that I had heard about in church growing up, and radically altered my life focus, purpose, and pursuits. As Shane Claiborne says, when I encountered Christ, "He messed my life up" and I am still "recovering" from my conversion experience.



Yesterday, I was reading through 1 Peter and a Scripture leaped off the page at me. 1 Peter 2:9 states, "But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light." I am His now. He drafted me. As the Ambassador once preached, we were "unlikely choices, unmerited choices, undeserving choices," - but God in His grace and mercy made the move on us, redeemed us, "called us out of darkness into His marvelous light." I love the response in this verse - "that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who...." We get to proclaim the excellencies of Him!





I am humbled this morning. I am messed up. And I am grateful.






When was your turning point? How did God make the move on you?

4 comments:

Aaron said...

Wow! Dave what a wonderful post homie! I agree... let us ponder where we WERE so that we can apprecate where we ARE.

Its funny but I have shared my testimony more in the last month then I have in my whole life time. You know I rarely allude to or share my past unless it is with close friends but I, like you, have been amazed by God's grace in my story (rather His story with me in it).

Anyway I think this blog is really becoming a window into you bro and I think it is great. Keep letting us in man!

Grace and Peace,

mar-mar said...

hey...great to hear your story of transformation! just remembered you have a blog, hope all is well.

Dave Clark said...

Aaron,

Sorry it took me a minute. Yeah, God has really been putting me in a reflective state lately. It is humbling - but really a good thing. I have been welling up a lot.

Keep sharing your story man! That is encouraging to here.

Let's be in awe of the KING!


Mary,

Good to hear from you! Thanks for checking in. Where are you now? Do you still blog too?

joydriven said...

thanks for sharing, dave. i love that rehashing what God's done for you reminds you of how screwed up YOU are and how truly great (and enough) HE is.