Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Vision Trip



I just had the opportunity to spend 5 days with my Grandpa and Grandma Clark in Simi Valley CA. My grandpa is now 93 years old, and my grandma turned 85 this year. They have been married for 64 years!! The last few years, I have made it a point each spring to fly out an spend time with them (and my other family in Simi - love you guys!). I didn't really grow up near my dad's parents, so I have always looked forward to our yearly time together.

My grandparents met in church. My grandfather was serving a military term in England, and while there he visited various churches to preach and sing. On one particular outing he sung and preached at the church of a young Phyllis Joyner. She played the organ and he sang, and let's just say they caught one another's eye:) She would eventually move back to the states with my grandpa and they would serve in ministry together for over 4 decades. He pastored 4 different churches in Michigan. He was a passionate proclaimer of the Word of God (he did it with a sparkle in his eye), and each of his churches shared his passion for missions work. My grandma continued to play the organ, raised a family of three (including my dad), and blessed each congregation with her selfless love and intercessory prayer. My grandparents have never had much, but they have always had enough. They never owned a nice car. They never had an extravagant home. However, they would be quick to testify of God's faithful provision for them. One thing that has always been evident to me is that my grandparent's possess the joy of the LORD. They love the Lord, they love people, and they love to laugh.

My grandpa's health is declining now. His mind is still sharp (especially his Scripture knowledge), but his body is breaking down. It was honestly hard for me to see this up close this time. I realize it is a part of life though. In the midst of this, I was so blessed to see my grandparent's interaction with each other on this trip. My grandma now serves my grandpa each meal on his couch, as it is difficult for him to make it to the kitchen table. She makes sure that he takes his various medications (and she is stern with him when needed if he is stubborn). Each night she helps him get into bed, and tucks him in. There are also times where she has to help bathe him after a humiliating episode, and let him know that things are okay. My mom made a comment to my grandma about how challenging this must be. My grandma responded in her own cute way, "this is what we do, for better or for worse." As I sat watching TV with my grandpa the other day he told me, "God has blessed me with a great helpmate. I am blessed." As I listened to my grandma tuck him in last night he thanked her and said "God bless you."

64 years of marriage, 4 decades of active ministry service, 3 kids, 8 grandkids, and a growing number of great grandkids. They also have numerous ministry relationships that span many years and geographic locations. My grandparents have lived for Christ and they have lived for others, and God has been so faithful to them. I continue to take note of their life. I too desire to have a best friend, a teammate in ministry and family (keep praying y'all, I'm getting closer:)). I also aspire, by God's grace, to have their enduring joy in the Lord and faithfulness and longevity in service to the King. I am thankful for the example of my grandparents, and for this recent visit that proved to be a "vision trip" for me.

2 comments:

Jamil said...

Bro...no words to express how much of a blessing this was to me! This is such the encouragement; plus, like you said, it gives a great vision for what marriage should be!!! Much appreciated, bro.

Dave Clark said...

Your welcome brother! My visit was an encouragement to me so I had to pass it on. Hope you can come to Chicago soon man!