Saturday, September 17, 2011

Glen Kehrein"s "The Stuff Of Urban Ministry"

One of the most impactful classes I ever took at Moody Grad school was "Urban Anthropology & Sociology." It was co-taught by Dr. Fuder, Moody's former Urban Ministry Director, and Glen Kehrein, long time Executive Director of Circle Urban Ministries on Chicago's west side. The Lord really used this class to give me a passion and desire to learn cities: their history, cultures, political systems, city systems, etc. At the time I felt (and I still believe) that EVERY Moody student should be required to take the course, regardless of their major.

During one of our last classes together, Glen shared his Top Ten List, entitled "The 'Stuff' of Urban Ministry. I recently found my notes from that class, and was greatly encouraged by it as I am seeking to learn my new city, and asking God to break my heart for Richmond. I thought I would share these valuable insights from Glen, one of my heroes in the faith.

The "Stuff" of Urban Ministry Top 10

(1) Personal Integrity
-be totally honest with yourself and others
-personal honesty & time will lead to trust

(2)Spiritual Commitment
-Pray, understand God's heart, and follow it

(3)Humility
-Know yourself in order to build God's Kingdom not your own
-Sacrifice = to give up a lesser value for a greater value

(4)Personal Support & Accountability
-From spouse & committed friends

(5)Faithfulness
-Learning from experience without quitting
-Faithful to the calling throughout ups and downs

(6)Define your vision (it is a process)
-Find out where you are going
-Mission + Philosophy(Theology) + Strategy = Vision

(7)Commitment to relationships over structure
-Structure is not the engine, nor is it the caboose either

(8)Resources follow commitment
-People give (time, talent, & treasure) to what they believe in.
-People give resources where they see commitment.

(9)Education (degrees, pedigrees, & OJT's)
-Spend your life learning, formal & self study

(10)The "Need" does not dictate "the Call"
-Even Jesus didn't do it all and get it all done...and He was God

Please be praying for Glen and his family as he battles cancer. He continues to give updates on his treatments as well as what God is teaching him on his blog.

No comments: