Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Heart For The City?




On a blog that I now frequent (Ed Stetzer's blog), I came across a series of posts entitled "You Can't Love A City If You Don't Know A City." I have been in Richmond now for a month, and I have tried to do all I can to "get to know Richmond." As many of you know I lived in Chicago for ten years. During that decade, especially following my urban ministry training at Moody, I devoted myself to learning Chicago. Dr. Fuder challenged us to not only be passionate about exegeting Scripture, but also about exegeting neighborhoods, cultures, the city, etc. My learning never stopped in Chicago! I anticipate that my "city education" will be ongoing here as well.

I (along with my teammates) have been visiting various ministries and social service agencies (rescue missions, transitional housing, health clinics, recreation centers, etc.). I have been researching and reading all I can about the history of Richmond. I have tried to get my hands on local newspapers. Wherever I visit, I try to ask a lot of questions. I even find myself taking drives just to observe different neighborhoods, or trying different routes just to see new scenery.

Richmond is a unique city. It has a population of about 100,000 people, yet it is very close to too larger urban centers (Oakland & San Francisco). It is also surrounded by smaller cities, which almost seem to be viewed as "greater Richmond." It is diverse - approximately 40% Latino, 35% African American, 20% white, 5% Asian (with a growing Asian and Southeast Asian population). Yet within this diversity there is not much segregation along racial lines. Although, there are neighborhoods within the city that are primarily low income and primarily upper class, it seems as if the majority of the city is mixed income. It is a place of great beauty (natural beauty and beautiful people). It is also a place of challenge and pain (homelessness, violence, crime, etc.). The city's slogan is "Richmond: A City of Pride and Purpose."

As I continue to learn and build and learn some more, I have been challenged by something the Lord has exposed in my own heart. We (the pastors) have been telling the church body that we love Richmond, and that we - as a body on mission - have to love our city. However, the Lord has challenged me with a convicting question "do you really love ALL of Richmond"? You see my heart gravitates towards the more "challenging" areas of the city - ie the Iron Triangle, North Richmond, etc. I love building with, listening to, praying for, and learning from homeless men and women. I am excited and passionate about engaging the public school system and contending for educational justice.

Yet, if I'm honest when I say I "love Richmond" the affluent areas of Point Richmond and Hilltop aren't included in that statement. My heart doesn't break for the residents of Richmond who seemingly "have it all together" externally, yet are lost apart from Christ. I am asking God to break my heart for the whole city.

I want to have the same compassion for the prostitute and the professional. I want to be burdened for the homeless man and the "high up" executive. I'm asking God to break my heart for the muslims who attend the mosque at the end of my street, the first and 3rd generation immigrant, the politicians and the powerless.

I'm thankful that God has highlighted this blindspot in my heart. I'm asking Him to continue to stretch me and break me in this area. Stay tuned...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow. Its like I wrote this post. Seriously that is so my heart. "I want to love the prostitute and the professional."-Dave Clark. because Jesus did, He died for all of them, all of us. Don't lose your focus (the poor) but expand the vision (all people, all nations). Nice work Dave Clark.

Dave Clark said...

Thanks Sarah!!! I'm with you! I have been very convicted and challenged lately and have been asking God to break my heart for the lost!