Monday, September 14, 2009

13.1 Mile Reflections



This past Sunday morning I competed/ran in my first half-marathon, the Chicago Half Marathon. I don't remember when exactly I decided to run, but it wasn't that long ago. I began training on August 13th, just after returning from our annual Montana trip. I began lifting and running on a much more consistent from that day up until the race. I actually really enjoyed the training, even though each "big run" was "the longest run of my running career."

I was nervous the morning of as I woke up at 5:50am. I couldn't believe how many people were there when I got to the start line - 20,000 runners. People had told me that the day of the race, "I would run on adrenaline," and they were right. It was really encouraging to see so many spectators out there cheering us on. The first part of the race felt great, but when I hit the 9 mile mark, things got tough. Thankfully, I was able to press through, and when I hit the 11 mile mark, I felt like I got my second wind. I finished with a time of 2 hours, 4 minutes, and 29 seconds. Out of 20,000 runners, I came in 2,989th place.

I am thankful for everyone that prayed for me! I am also thankful for everyone that made generous donations towards Sunshine Gospel Ministry's youth outreach programs.

Here are a few race memories/thoughts...

Most Memorable Sign: About 2 miles into the race, someone was holding a sign that said, "The Kenyans Are Behind You!" - classic!

Most Memorable Interview: I have to give a shout out to Brittney Rost and Nikki Blodgett for the live interview that they did as I ran.

Favorite Running Song In My I-Tunes: "Turning Point" by J'Son

Most Interesting Running Outfit: There were three guys that ran in a group that ran in "running skirts." These were not "kilts," these were skirts. Nuff said.

Devotional/Spiritual Thought: Throughout my month of training I was reminded of Paul's words in 1 Timothy 4:7-8 where he says, "Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." Over the course of my month of training I disciplined myself to so many runs per week, and so many lifts per week. I changed my diet. I got up early for some runs, and others I carved out times in the evening. I was challenged during this process by the question, "am I training myself for godliness just as hard?" By God's grace, am I diligent and disciplined in my pursuit of Christlikeness? That is a convicting thought.

I am grateful to God for the health and the strength to run. I hope to continue to stay in this "half-marathon shape" and compete in future races.

No comments: