Saturday, September 19, 2009

Would You Still Seek Jesus?

Recently I have been reading through the book of Psalms. I have really been enjoying it! I love the transparency of David through all of his ups and downs. I also have taken note of His exalted view of God. He was a man who in spite of his issues and in spite of his circumstances truly sought after God.

It has reminded me of a message that Dr. Fuder gave at a CCDA conference a few years back. He asked a challenging and thought-provoking question to those of us serving in positions of spiritual leadership, those of us actively working "for Jesus." Here is what he asked, "If God (hypothetically) told us that (1)when we died we would go to heaven (eternal security/salvation) and (2)I will never use you again on earth, WOULD YOU STILL SEEK AFTER JESUS? Would you still seek to know Him? Would you seek His face? Would you still worship Him and to enjoy Him?" My response: Whew!

He then reminded us that Henry Blackaby defines spiritual leadership as bringing followers (those whom we influence & serve) into face to face encounters with Jesus. He exhorted us that "if we are going to take people deep into the things of God, it means that we have to be drinking deeply from that well." For those of us in spiritual leadership positions, we cannot call anyone to what we ourselves are not about.

In Psalm 43 David said that God referred to God as his "joy and delight." I have really been thinking on his words. Does my heart echo this? Does yours?

The thing that really challenges me is this. I know that I love to do His work, but I don't always love (and treasure, and cherish, and delight in)HIM with this same passion and devotion. By God's grace...

2 comments:

KG said...

This is a good word and great reminder. Thanks Dave.

Anonymous said...

THEEEE MOST BEAUTIFUL song just learned...

You are all I need, you are all I want... you alone are my delight.

You shepard me with love, you lead me through the darkness of night...

In you my heart does rest...