Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Be Careful Of Turning Aside


I recently read through the book of Judges. It is definitely an interesting book. There is some crazy stuff in the book of Judges. One of the more familiar stories from this book is the story of Samson. This is a story that is told in many Sunday school classrooms and is even preached from occasionally. Some things jumped out at me this time, that hadn't jumped out at me before. Let me share some of my observations. First of all, Samson had made a Nazirite vow. In a nutshell, Samson was set apart (or his life was set apart) for the Lord and His purposes. However, Samson had some character weaknesses that were exposed. It begins in chapter 14 where Samson "turns aside" to look at a lion's carcass. He scooped some honey out of the carcass because it looked sweet. He discovered that it tasted sweet too. However, this "secret" act was a violation of the laws that he was to live according to. This initial "turning aside," I believe opened him up to further "slippage." In chapter 16 it says that "he saw" a prostitute and then went after her and got with her. Three verses later he meets and "falls in love" with Delilah. Most of us know the rest of the story...destruction for Samson.

I see a connectedness between these acts in the life of Samson. Samson's life was set apart for the purposes of God until a simple act of "turning aside" for something that looked and tasted sweet led him down a slippery slope of destruction. He became easily distracted from the things of God, and from God's purpose for his life. As my roommate Paul's grandmother used to tell him growing up, "Sin always takes you further than you want to go."

I was reminded of times in my life when an "innocent" turning aside led to additional turning asides. I also asked God to reveal any areas where I might currently be turning aside. Psalm 139:23-24. We are all in need of God's grace to keep us following after Him, and looking to Him and not elsewhere.

No comments: