Wednesday, March 25, 2009

From Bondage To Liberation


Galatians 1:10
An I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

I read this verse a few times last week, and it really got me thinking. I am a bridge-builder/peacemaker type (in many ways we are all called to be this in Christ). God has made me this way, I believe for His good. I don't like to see conflict. I like to see people getting along, living harmoniously. I am disturbed by divisions in the church - across racial lines, economic/class lines, political lines, etc. This type of division and conflict and strife erks me (my Holy Discontent - probably another blog forthcoming). In many ways this is a great trait. I know that God can use this (and has by His grace). However, on the flip slide there can be some weaknesses in being a bridge builder/peacemaker type. It can lead to people pleasing. It can lead to not rocking the boat, even though the boat needs to be rocked. It can also lead to a type of bondage. People pleasing can be an exhausting game of futility. Pleasing everyone is just not possible (nor should it be desired). The danger in this is that the farther I have gone in ministry the more people I have built relationships with(supporters, churches, co-workers, peers, students, teachers, etc.) - and the more people to potentially "please." If the Lord gives me a family someday, I realize I will never be able to please everyone.

Paul says, "If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." He seems to be stating that you can't be a "man pleaser" and be a servant of Christ. The two don't mesh. Although that might seem almost too challenging, there is great hope in those words. Serving Christ and seeking to please Him can provide liberation from the bondage of people pleasing. By God's grace He has grown me in this area in my life, and I trust that He will continue to grow me (to liberate me).

I was reminded of Jason Eskridge's song "Liberator." It is a powerful song. Here are some of the lyrics.

Your hand of freedom
Reached into my situation
Breaking my binding chains and granting me liberation
I once was bound to myself, the worst of penalties
Couldn't escape from my sin, until You rescued me
But now...

(Chorus)
You are my liberator
Your love set me free
You are my emancipator
With Your blood You bought me
Now I am free

Not going back to that place again
Where my mind and my body are enslaved to sin
Through Your life and Your death and Your life again
Taking this dead man and making me breathe again

(Chorus)

I'm set free, I'm set free



Does anybody else struggle with this? Chime in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for sharing. I dealt with this in my life many years ago. You are right, it can be bondage. Don't worry about being a peace maker. God knows your heart and He will let you know when you are to make peace. He will also let you know when you speak His word which will cause HELL (strife).

It's even more difficult when we want people to like us and be our friend. True friends can accept criticism or can be challenged by the word of God. They may become angry due to being convicted but in the end they will love you for it. Continue to live and teach God's word.

Dave Clark said...

Thanks for the encouragement Anon. Good stuff.