Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Impact of A Life of Service


Last night, one of my supporters, Paul Merrill, went home to be with the Lord. He had been battling various health issues for the past two years or so. My memory of Mr. Merrill goes back a long ways. He was one of my "children's church" teachers when I was in my early elementary years. I remember him teaching us Bible stories and using his various magic tricks as illustrations. As I got a little bit older, I remember he and his wife Judy working with me at AWANA club to memorize verses (many of which I still remember today). When I graduated high school I remember them writing a note to me in my graduation card, encouraging me in the Lord, even though at the time I wasn't walking with the Lord. When I first raised support to do a summer internship with Sunshine during the summer of 2002, Paul & Judy were some of my first financial supporters. They were crucial supporters during my early years with Sunshine because not only did they give financially, and not only were they faithful in prayer, but I always knew they believed in me and in the work that God had called me to. During the last several months, Paul's health difficulties have kept him away from church at Lawton EMC. However, when I preached there on Sunday February 8th, he was there with Judy. He looked very frail, and was in a wheel chair, but it was great to see him as I canned the faces in the sanctuary as I preached.

Yesterday morning I had a meeting with a colleague of mine focusing on leadership development curriculum. We spoke about how crucial it is for elementary/grade school students to have role model figures in their lives, who encourage them and cast vision for them and believe in them. As I reflected on that in my own life, I have been blessed to have several people who have come alongside me at different stages growing up and been that person for me. Mr. Merrill was one of "those people" for me when I was a very shy and timid elementary school student. On Saturday we will celebrate his life. He faithfully served in children's ministry for many years. Even as his health began to fail in his latter years, he served faithfully in his ministry of interceding for others. As her persevered through various procedures and treatments, and through much discomfort, he faithfully served the Lord till the end.

No comments: