Thursday, March 19, 2009

March Madness



The first NCAA tournament that I remember watching was in 1987. I was nine years old at the time, and I remember the final game in which Indiana beat Syracuse on a clutch shot by Keith Smart. The following year I remember watching Danny Manning and the Kansas Jayhawks defeat Stacey King and Mookie Blaylock and the Oklahoma Sooners. 1989 was probably my favorite year, as the Michigan Wolverines led by Glen Rice and Rumeal Robinson beat the Seton Hall Pirates (featuring Ramon Ramos and Andrew Gaze) in the final game (I have been a Michigan basketball fan ever since).

Each year I looked forward to selection Sunday. My brother John and I sometimes would even map out the bracket onto a large poster board. We would fill it in as we watched the selection show, and then post it prominently on the wall next to the television. Then the first weekend of the NCAA tournament (this weekend) all we would to is watch the games, eat, and possibly head outside to our basketball court (no matter how cold it was) for some inspired shooting.

I haven't been able to follow college basketball like I used to (I don't have cable at my house.), but I still love March Madness. I have attached a video of the "One Shining Moment" song and highlight video that they play each year after the conclusion. I look forward to watching it every year.

What is your favorite tournament moment? Which games do you remember? Players?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never watched basketball at all growing up. The only sport I watched was pro football b/c my mom was a die hard Bears and Cowboys fan (and later Colts). However, when I started working for WRAL.com and they sent me to photograph UNC games, after a month I got really into it. There's absolutely nothing like sitting on the baseline looking up at those giants, esp. Tyler Hansbrough! I've picked UNC to go all the way, I'm just sad I won't be on Franklin St. for the celebration.

Dave Clark said...

North Carolina looks tough man! I haven't watched much college basketball this year, but I have them going to the Final Four. I have Pittsburgh winning it though. We will see. I just love watching all fo the games. I don't think I'll go outside and shoot any inspired baskets anymore...but I might.

I am happy to see the Wolverines back in the dance this year. It has been way too long!